Are you playing your favorite game on PS5, and did it suddenly crash, or did your screen freeze in the middle of your gaming session? Or even worse, did your PS5 randomly shut down? If you find yourself in a frenzy about these issues, you have landed on the correct article. There is no need to worry. These issues are extremely easy to fix and can be quickly done independently.
The PS5 has a lot of potential to be the best gaming console. But, there are some problems that need to be fixed before it can become a reality. One of those problems is that it crashes mid game. This is not only frustrating, but also makes the game unplayable.
Gamers have been waiting for years for the next big console release and when they finally get their hands on it, they have this problem with crashing mid game. It is not just one gamer either, it seems like everyone who has this console has had this problem with crashing games at some point in time.
Why Is My PS5 Crashing too much?
You could be accidentally running into Rest Mode errors, overheating the console, not linking your console correctly to the TV, or downgrading your software. It’s also possible that the console has a hardware issue or a game bug.
There are many reasons why your PS5 is crashing.
1. Rest Mode:
If your console is in power saving mode, it is quite possible that it can cause your console to crash randomly, mainly because the firmware might enable it by default. It is one of the most common reasons for this problem.
2. Damaged Power Cord:
If there are any visible signs of damage to your cable or adapter, power will fail to reach your console. It will cause your PS5 to crash/freeze.
3. Outdated System Software:
If your console’s software is outdated, you have to update it to the latest version to get it to run correctly.
4. Faulty Game:
Any damaged or corrupted games may cause your PS5 to crash/freeze. You can try reinstalling the game to overcome this issue.
5. Overheating Console:
Your console might be overheating due to trapped dust or improper ventilation. Clean the insides of your console and place it in a well-ventilated area.
How to Fix PS5 Keeps Crashing?
Here is how you can fix your PS5 crashing/freezing issue:
The first and foremost thing to do is restart your PS5 before you try anything else. It helps with a lot of issues. To restart your PS5, follow these steps:
- Press the power button till you hear two beeps.
- Disconnect the console from the power outlet.
- After 1 minute, reconnect it to the power source.
- Turn it on.
Check to see if your issue has been resolved. If not, please move on to the more advanced solutions.
Turn Rest Mode Off:
- Go to the Settings menu located at the top right corner of the Home screen.
- Select System and then select Power Saving.
- Then, select Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode.
- After this, select Don’t Put in Rest Mode on the drop-down menu for both during Media Playback and While Playing Games.
- Once you do this, go back to the Home screen.
- Now, restart your console and see if your console works fine.
If your console is still crashing/freezing, please move on to the next solution.
Update the PS5:
To update your PlayStation 5, all you have to do is:
- First, go to Settings and then go to the System.
- Then, click on System Software.
- Now, select System software update and settings.
- If an update is available, select it.
Check your console once the update finishes seeing if it works fine.
Rebuild PS5 Database:
The next step you want to try is to rebuild the database, and we can easily do that through Safe Mode Troubleshooter. Here is how you can do that:
- First, you want to turn off your console and unplug all cables for at least 30 seconds.
- While the cables of the console are off, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. This will drain the remaining power to create a hard reset.
- Now, unplug the console.
- Then, press and hold the power button for seven seconds until you hear two beeps.
- Once you hear the beeps, plug the DualSense controller and select Rebuild Database.
Once finished, your console will restart automatically and should work just fine. If not, there are plenty of other solutions for you to try still.
Reinstall Faulty Game:
It is quite possible that a faulty or corrupt game file could be causing your console to crash. Reinstalling the game could potentially solve your problem. Here is how you can do that:
- Go to Settings on your PS5.
- Then, go to Storage.
- Then, go to Games and Apps and select the game you wish to reinstall.
- Click Delete and delete the game.
- Once deleted, go back to the Home screen and the Game Library.
- Locate the game you deleted and reinstall it.
Update your Games
Sometimes the auto-update feature is turned off and can prevent your PS5 from functioning correctly. To manually update, Go to your home screen.
- Click on the Games tab at the top and click on the game you want to check.
- Click the controller’s options button and then select Check for Update.
To avoid manually updating your games, you can also enable auto-updates. To do that:
- Go to Settings and then to Saved Data and Game/App Settings.
- Now, click on Automatic Updates and turn on Auto-Install in Rest Mode and Auto-Download options.
Lower PS5’s Temperatures
Overheating your console can cause it to freeze and crash to bring the console’s temperature down. To avoid this:
- Turn your PlayStation 5 off after long gaming hours.
- Put the console in a well-ventilated area such as windows, AC, etc.
- Clean the area around the console.
- Place the console on its stand or on cold surfaces like wood, marble, or stone.
- Leave room between the back vents and the walls.
- Clean the ducts regularly with a brush or high-pressure air.
Restore PS5 to Factory Settings
The last thing to do, if all else fails, is to factory reset your PS5. To do that:
- Go to Settings and go to System Update.
- Select System Software and select Back Up and Restore to back up any data on your PS5.
- Then, turn your PlayStation 5 off.
- Plug the controller through its USB cable and press its PS button to enter Safe Mode.
- Then, select Reset PS5.
Hopefully, by now, your issue will be fixed.
Reach Out to PlayStation Support
If nothing works for you, it is best to contact PlayStation Support. You can get service or replace your console.
How to fix PS5 Rest mode crashing?
PS5 crashes in Rest Mode mainly because of bugs. So, if you disable Rest Mode, you should be good to go. Here is how you can do that:
- Go to Settings.
- Then, go to System.
- Go to Power Saving.
- Then, click on Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode.
- Select Don’t Put in Rest Mode for both During Media Playback and While Playing Games.
How to get into PS5 safe mode?
You can do this either by using your PS5’s DualSense Controller or the power button. Turn your PS5 off and press the PS button on your controller to enter safe mode. The second method is to hold the power button till you hear two beep sounds.
How do you turn off a frozen PS5?
Press and hold the power button located at the front of the console and hold for a few seconds. This should turn the frozen PS5 off.
Why does my game keep crashing PS5?
It could be due to outdated software, an overheating console, faulty games, hardware malfunction, and other causes, as mentioned in this article.