Imagine spending 350 dollars on a gadget only to have it dysfunctional when you use it. The bummer, isn’t it. As reported by the users, the “Black Screen of Death” has been a major withstanding issue with the Nintendo Switch. As reported by users, Nintendo Switch goes black after turning on. Sometimes, sounds come out of the screen, but you will not be able to see anything.
If you are also among those startled by this problem, do not worry; I have just the solution. In this article, I have provided 5 quick fixes to get you back to gaming in no time. So, stay tuned.
- What is the black screen of death on the Nintendo switch?
- How to fix the Nintendo Switch black screen of death
- Final Thoughts
What is the black screen of death on the Nintendo switch?
When you turn your console on, you may see that your screen is entirely dark. There are lots of reasons why this could be happening. Below are some of the common reasons reported:
1. Console Damage:
If your console recently fell, then the black screen could occur.
2. Drained Battery:
If you encounter a black screen, it could be due to a drained battery which can be seen every time you switch your console on. This is because the battery icon appears before the screen turns black.
3. Hardware Issues:
It is possible that your AC adapter or dock might be broken, or the power socket might be nonfunctional.
How to fix the Nintendo Switch black screen of death
Here are 6 easy fixes to get your Nintendo Switch black screen of death fixed:
Force Reboot Your Nintendo Switch
The first and foremost thing you need to do before trying any other fixes is to do a hard reset or force reboot. Then, just follow these simple steps:
- First, connect your AC adapter to your Nintendo Switch.
- Wait for at least 15 to 20 minutes until the battery charges.
- Now, press and hold the power button. You want to hold it for at least 12 seconds.
- Then, press the power button only once to turn your console back on.
Your issue should be fixed by now. If not, please try our other fixes below.
Reset AC Adapter
Another quick and easy solution to overcome the black screen of death is to reset your AC adapter. It is effortless to do. Just follow these steps:
- Unplug the AC adapter from both ends.
- Leave it unplugged for 30 seconds.
- Now, charge the battery with the AC adapter.
Your console should turn on by now. However, if you are still facing the black screen of death, try the other fix I have for you.
Check the AC Adapter to Fix Nintendo Switch Black Screen
If the above solution fails to solve your problem, then the charging adapter or the charging dock may be either broken or damaged. In most cases, your power socket might be the culprit. What you can do is:
- Check your AC adapter to ensure you use the original one (model No. HAC-002). If not, replace it with the original one.
- Take out your charger and check for any damage, such as cuts or worn out parts on the cable. If you see any cuts or worn-out parts, buy a new one from Nintendo’s online store.
- Connect your adapter to your console once you have replaced faulty adapters and chargers.
Ensure that your issue has been resolved. If not, please move on to the next solution.
Try a Soft Reset without Deleting Saved Data
A soft reset will wipe the software without losing any saved data, video, screenshots etc. Make sure that your data is saved, though, before you try a soft reset. All you have to do is:
- Press and hold the power button. Press for at least 12 seconds.
- Next, press the Power and Volume button until you see the recovery menu.
- Now, you want to select Initialize Console Settings Without Deleting Save Data.
- Follow the instructions provided on the screen.
- Once the process is complete, press the power button to turn your console back on.
Check to see if your issue has been fixed.
Update the Switch in Recovery Mode
You can update your console from the recovery mode. Many people performed this fix, which helped them, so it might help you. Here are the steps to update your Switch in recovery mode.
- Press and hold the Power and Volume buttons together.
- Release the buttons when you see the 2nd Nintendo Switch logo.
- Now, select the update system.
- Download and install.
After the update completes, your console will restart, and you should go back to playing your games in no time.
Contact Nintendo Switch Support
If you cannot get rid of the black screen, you should contact Nintendo Switch despite trying all the solutions I have provided. Ask them to perform any necessary repairs to have your console up and running.
The black screen of death on the Nintendo Switch is basically a power-off problem. It occurs when your console turns on but shows a black screen. Many users feel that the current firmware is responsible, while others believe that it is mainly a hardware related issue. Third-party docks also seem to be culprits in this case.