If you are aware of tech and gadgets, you must know that your laptop and desktop have built-in fans that allow your system to cool down. If fans were not built-in, your system would overheat, and that would result in some severe damage to your hardware.
If your system ever overheats, your system will typically shut down. But shutting down does not mean that your hardware will not be damaged. So, if you want to control and set your system at a particular cooling temperature, you can actually set a custom fan speed for your system.
If you are a gamer and have lots of screen time, your high-end games put a heavy load on your system that drastically increases CPU temperature, both on your laptop and PC. To tackle this, you can manually adjust your fan speed by changing the fan settings or dig into BIOS and look for the CPU fan control option. Apart from this, you can even download third-party fan speed control software. They easily monitor and change the CPU fan speed.
It does not matter if it is a laptop or a PC. Maintaining normal CPU temperature is crucial, and it is not an easy task. But, simultaneously, you have to prevent it from overheating as well. This is where the CPU fan comes in. It plays a crucial role in cooling your PC down.
- What Type Of CPU Fan Can You Control?
- How To Increase Fan Speed On Laptop Windows 10, Make The Fan Speed Higher
- How To Change CPU Fan Speed On Windows Pc
What Type Of CPU Fan Can You Control?
How you control the fan speed on a laptop or a PC is totally dependent on how your fans are powered. Unfortunately, the only fans you can control are connected to your PC motherboard. However, if these are connected to the power supply, you can manually adjust their speed.
Besides this, you can also check the end of a fan cable. Molex fan connectors take power from the PSU. Therefore, you cannot manually control them. In addition, 3 pins DC fan connectors connect to the motherboard. Consequently, you can alter their speed. Finally, 4 pins PWM can be easily controlled using fan control software.
How To Increase Fan Speed On Laptop Windows 10, Make The Fan Speed Higher
To control the fan speed on Windows 10, check out the below methods that we have mentioned.
Cpu Fan Speed Control With Speedfan
SpeedFan is the go-to app to set a custom fan speed. It is an excellent app. However, your fans don’t need to appear in the Fan tab.
All you must do is download the application and install it. Then go to the Readings tab and press the Configure button. Pay attention to the warnings that the app gives you. In the Configure window, open the Fans tab. Your fans should be listed here. You can set a custom speed for them now.
Hwinfo Pc Fan Speed Controller
For this method, download and install HWiNFO. Select the Sensors Only option. Run the app. You will receive a warning that running the app will impact your system. It is not necessary that you see it for all systems, though.
While the app is running, press the fan button at the bottom. This will open the HWiNFO Fan Control window. You will also get a listing of all the installed fans on your system. If the controls for a fan are inactive, it means that you do not have those specific fans installed.
Enter the maximum speed and then tap Set Manual to set custom fan speed. If you prefer setting a custom auto speed, then click Custom Auto. Then, choose the PCH sensor. This will allow your system to trigger the fan speed. Next, enter the temperature and then the speed. Your fan will start running when your system reaches that exact temperature. Click OK. You will exit the window. Tap the blue cross button on the main app window to save your changes.
Change Fan Settings On Windows 10 Via Control Panel
Windows 10 has a built-in feature that allows you to change your laptop fan speed. Simply open the control panel. Follow the following steps:
- Open “Control Panel.”
- Tap on “Hardware and Sound” and then “Power Options.” A new window will appear.
- Tap “Change Plan Settings” and then “Change Advanced Power Settings.”
- The “Power Options” dialog box will appear.
- Go to the “Advanced Settings” tab.
- Tap on “Processor Power Management.”
- Next, choose “System Cooling Policy” on the submenu.
- Tap on the down arrow under “System Cooling Policy.”
- This will reveal a drop-down menu.
- Choose “Active” from the drop-down menu. This will increase the speed of your CPU’s cooling fan.
- Click “Apply” and then “OK.”
Control Fan Speed On Laptop Windows 10 Pc Using Bios/uefi
Depending on your PC or laptop, model, and motherboard manufacturer, they have fan control settings in the BIOS/UEFI.
There are two ways you can do this. The first way is:
- Restart your computer.
- Press and hold the “Delete” or “F12” key when it boots up.
The second way is:
- Press “Windows + “I to open Settings.
- Go to Update & security >Recovery > Advanced Startup >Restart Now > Troubleshoot >Advanced options > UEFI Firmware settings >Click Restart.
Now that you have entered BIOS:
- Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to locate Fan Speed Control options.
- For example, go to Monitor > Status > Fan Speed Control.
- Then, look for the RPM settings for your computer fan. Select the fan to increase its speed, i.e., 400 RPM or 500 RPM, and press Enter.
- Press Esc repeatedly until you find the Exit menu.
- Select the “Save Changes and Reset” option to confirm the fan speed changes.
- Your computer will now automatically restart.
How To Change CPU Fan Speed On Windows Pc
There are two ways you can do this:
Download Fan Control Software On Windows 10
SpeedFan software is the absolute best. It is super easy to use and does not have malware or unwanted files. Besides this, the installation process is super easy. Finally, it gives you total control over CPU fan speed.
This software lets you check accurate CPU temperature. You can also visualize your current fan RPM. Besides this, you can manually control and increase the fan speed.
The main downside of this software is that it only supports built-in CPU and Case fans. If SpeedFan fails to detect any fans, you may have other PC fans in your system. However, if this software does nothing for you, we have another solution.
Buy An External Fan Hub To Control Fan Speed On Your Pc
Most of the software that increases fan speed supports built-in CPU fans and case fans. So, in this case, buying an external fan controller will be the best option. Unfortunately, this method is only applicable for PCs because laptops do not support fan speed controllers.
The hardware components fit in the drive bay and have knobs. These knobs allow you to manually control the fan speed. Besides this, you can also see the current RPM.
Well, folks! That was all from our side. We tried our best to provide as much detail as possible and as simple as possible to help you when you need extra fan speed. We hope our article helps you out related to the issue you are facing.